Lab Meetings

Spring 2024

23 April 2024 - 12:30pm
Topic: RISE project

16 April 2024 - 12:30pm
Topic: Climate adaptation & voltinism
Lead: Tyson Wepprich, Oregon Department of Forestry

9 April 2024 - 12:30pm
Topic: Exam prep

Practice session for Qualifying Exam

2 April 2024 - 12:30pm
Topic: TBD

26 March 2024 - 12:30pm
Topic: Honey bee thermal tolerance manuscript

Group review & discussion of draft manuscript

19 March 2024 - 12:30pm
Topic: Research updates
Lead: Mrudula Chodavarapu

Greg and Mrudula will give updates on the research projects.
Greg's project examines potential competition between Apis sp. and Bombus sp. bees.
Mrudula's project explores the lab-reared Epargyreus clarus...

12 March 2024 - 12:30pm
Topic: Research talk
Lead: Leslie Ries
Lead: Vaughn Shirey

Presentation on complete & ongoing research

27 February 2024 - 1:00pm
Topic: DC Cherry blossom phenology
Lead: Leslie Ries

Discussed classroom module on predicting the timing of peak cherry blossom flowering for the DC Tidal Basin

20 February 2024 - 1:00pm
Topic: Thermal cues and desiccation resistance in salamanders

Group review of paper on acclimation experiments related to desiccation resistance in salamanders.

13 February 2024 - 1:00pm
Topic: Weather anomalies and phenology

Group review of paper considering weather anomalies' influence on phenology.

6 February 2024 - 1:00pm
Topic: RNA-Seq
Lead: Sam Sturiale, Armbruster lab

Sharing research on mosquitoes

30 January 2024 - 1:00pm
Topic: Thermal metrics & distribution modeling

Group review of paper on thermal metrics & climate niche modeling in introduced Chameleon populations in FL

Summer 2021

1 February 2022 - 4:00pm
Topic: Spring 2022: Visualizing data in R with ggplot

This week we review and discuss R code for using ggplot to create visualizations of data and model results. Attendees are invited to create their own plots using built-in datasets prior to the meeting, and to come with questions. We share tips...

25 January 2022 - 4:00pm
Topic: Spring 2022: Resources for coding in R

This week we'll discuss development of R code focusing on resources for developing coding skills.

Summer 2020

8 September 2020 - 2:00pm
Topic: Habitat Fragmentation and lab resources

On Tuesday we will discuss Fletcher et al. 2018 (Is habitat fragmentation good for biodiversity?)
On Thursday at 10am, we will discuss lab resources, reference managers, and project management. We will also have our weekly Q&A for R....

Spring 2020

29 April 2020 - 2:00pm
Topic: Erin's RISE update
Lead: Erin Leeds

Erin will present results from her RISE project.

22 April 2020 - 2:00pm
Topic: Results review: predicting spring green-up in eastern North America

Naresh will present his green-up analyses

15 April 2020 - 2:00pm
Topic: Manuscript review: Measuring butterfly phenological responses with citizen science

Elise presented her draft manuscript on comparing phenometrics from iNaturalist vs. PollardBase

8 April 2020 - 2:00pm
Topic: Manuscript review: Thermal thresholds for insects

Mariana presented results and a draft of a manuscript for her meta-analysis.

18 March 2020 - 1:00pm
Topic: Estimators and confidence intervals for ecological dynamics in polar butterfly communities

26 February 2020 - 2:00pm
Topic: Ontological thermal thresholds for insects

We will review this manuscript our collaborators are working on and compare to some of the results coming out of Mariana's review.

19 February 2020 - 2:00pm
Topic: Adaptation to light cues: when should I go into diapause?
Lead: Peter Armbruster and Sasha

Peter and Sasha will present very exciting research results that come from a collaboration between our two labs!

12 February 2020 - 2:00pm
Topic: Semester Kick-off: Holarctic Butterfly Phenology
Lead: Leslie Ries

We'll be talking about semester plans - and also look at a paper on holarctic butterflies and phenology. Note that lab meetings will actually start at 1pm - where we will be doing more "active" collaboration and 2pm will start the "regular"...

17 January 2019 - 11:00am
Topic: Global patterns of herbivore diet breadth

Fall 2019

6 December 2019 - 11:00am
Topic: Measuring lipid content in caterpillars
Lead: Erin Leeds

Erin will present work on her RISE project.

22 November 2019 - 11:00pm
Topic: Machine Learning and Greenness Onset

Naresh will present work on this topic

15 November 2019 - 11:00am
Topic: Species richness accumulation curves

Primary article:

Backup information (optional):...

1 November 2019 - 11:00am
Topic: Thermal performance thresholds - part II

Mariana will present the next iteration of her thresholds analysis from the database and we can review (hopefully) Naresh's maps and charts on our three focal species.

25 October 2019 - 11:00am
Topic: Open Data Workshop - Git Repo Construction

Everybody should bring an inventory of data and project members

18 October 2019 - 11:00am
Topic: Open Data Workshop - RDA Chapt 1

Read and do exercises from RDA - Chapt 1

Watch this video on R-studio (first one):

Download cheatsheets:...

11 October 2019 - 11:00am
Topic: Better science in less time using open data science tools
Lead: Leslie Ries

We will revisit the issue of tools with this paper that may provide some inspiration and ideas to continue adopting the best tools (when helpful) to increase our science efficiency and reproducibility.

4 October 2019 - 11:00am
Topic: Tenure talk practice
Lead: Leslie Ries

The Biology department now requires professors going up for tenure to give a talk to the department. My department seminar is 10/10 - so this will give me a chance for a practice talk.

27 September 2019 - 11:00am
Topic: Thermal Performance modeling

For our (real) first lab meeting of the semester - Mariana will follow up on her recent meeting exploring ways forward for her meta-review of thermal performance curves and also developing a framework for large-scale extrapolation.

Spring 2019

17 April 2019 - 3:30pm
Topic: Thermal performance and manipulation of micro-climate
Lead: Leslie Ries

We will read and discuss:

Kaspari, M. (2019). In a globally warming world, insects act locally to manipulate their own microclimate. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 116(12), 5220-5222. (I will post article soon)

10 April 2019 - 3:30pm
Topic: Distribution of Apple Snails and their trophic dynamics

Kevin is going to talk about goals to combine his stable isotope - trophic level research with species distribution modeling of the invasive apple snail. Paper to be posted soon.

13 February 2019 - 3:30pm
Topic: Monarch migration and hadley cells
Lead: Elise Larsen

Elise and Naresh will present their results on monarchs, arrival times, and sketch out plans for their NSF proposal to macrosystems.

6 February 2019 - 3:30pm
Topic: Integrating experiments with Macroecology
Lead: Leslie Ries

A new paper describes a paradigm for integrating experimental and observational data to carry out macrosystems research.

30 January 2019 - 3:30pm
Topic: Habitat ontologies

Vaughn is going to talk about ideas for developing a habitat ontology for our butterfly trait database

23 January 2019 - 3:30pm
Topic: Semester kickoff
Lead: Leslie Ries

Fall 2018

15 November 2018 - 2:00pm
Topic: Ecological Forecasting - Part III
Lead: Leslie Ries

We continue our discussion of Dietz's ecological forecasting framework.

Team monarch and team silver-spotted skipper will discuss applying Dietz's framework to our system.

8 November 2018 - 2:00pm
Topic: Ecological Forecasting - Part II
Lead: Leslie Ries

We continue our discussion of Dietz's ecological forecasting framework

1 November 2018 - 2:00pm
Topic: Ecological Forecasting

Elise will post a paper to read.

16 October 2018 - 2:00pm
Topic: SPECIAL TUESDAY LAB - Moths vs. Butterflies
Lead: Leslie Ries

Leslie and Elise will present results on some preliminary analyses for our pheno-mismatch project.

11 October 2018 - 2:00pm
Topic: UNC Visit Report Back

The lab is going to visit Joel Kingsolver to jumpstart our new EAGER grant - so we will introduce the basics to the lab and also report on our visit.

4 October 2018 - 2:00pm
Topic: Chapter 2: Begin with the end in mind - and Practice talk
Lead: Leslie Ries

We will discuss chapter 2 of 7 habits and I'll also give a practice talk for upcoming talks at Oklahoma State and Univ. of CT.

27 September 2018 - 2:00pm
Topic: NSF GRFP Fellowship Proposal Review

Vaughn will distribute drafts of his personal and research proposals for feedback

20 September 2018 - 2:00pm
Topic: Manuscript review: Silver Spotted Skipper Diapause Paper

Mariana will distribute her diapause manuscript for discussion

13 September 2018 - 2:00pm
Topic: The first habit: Be Proactive!!
Lead: Leslie Ries

Two readings: I found an online .pdf version of the 7 habits (see link) - which looks complete except there are no illustrations. For this lab, I would look through the overview and also the chapter on habit 1 (be proactive). I've also...

Spring 2018

26 April 2018 - 2:00pm
Topic: Caterpillars Count! Survey Establishment

Establishing Caterpillar Count tree survey sites

19 April 2018 - 2:00pm
Topic: Adult moth light trap
Lead: Leslie Ries

12 April 2018 - 2:00pm
Topic: Occoquan Butterfly Data
Lead: Madeline Lee

A show and tell of the data processing and analysis to date.

5 April 2018 - 2:00pm
Topic: Plans for caterpillar monitoring
Lead: Leslie Ries

We are making plans to initiate moth sampling in our area

22 March 2018 - 2:00pm
Topic: Monarch arrival predictions

We will review Naresh's manuscript on monarch arrival predictability

15 March 2018 - 2:00pm
Topic: Spring and Summer Caterpillar Planning

We are going to plan out our spring and summer caterpillar activities!!

1 February 2018 - 2:00pm
Topic: Paper review: The Well-Temperatured Biologist

Mariana leads a discussion on the attached paper.

25 January 2018 - 11:00am
Topic: Paper review: Systematic variation in the termperature dependence of physiological and ecological traits

Mariana led a discussion on this paper.

Fall 2017

28 November 2017 - 12:30pm
Topic: Extracting phenological metrics from butterfly monitoring GAMs

Developing a methodology for our phenological mismatch grant.

21 November 2017 - 12:30pm
Topic: Adaptive responses to environmental fitness landscapes
Lead: Judy Miller

Judy will talk about her work developing PDEs to test this long-standing theory in evolution about how species should (or should not) evolve when on an adaptive landscape.

7 November 2017 - 12:30pm
Topic: Energy & Climate Policy Research Seminar: Insights from China’s Wind Power Industry and Inherent Controversies of Chinese Industrial Upgrading
Lead: Julia Kirch Kirkegaard, Postdoctoral Researcher, Stanford Business School

24 October 2017 - 12:30pm
Topic: ESA practice and planning for winter experiments

Mariana will give a practice talk for ESA

We will plan experiments for the winter

17 October 2017 - 12:30pm
Topic: Energy & Climate Policy Research Seminar: The Political Economy of Pricing Carbon for a 2C World
Lead: Joe Aldy, Associate Professor of Public Policy, Harvard Kennedy School.

Mortara Center for International Studies at 3600 N Street NW

26 September 2017 - 12:30pm
Topic: Energy & Climate Policy Research Seminar: Club-Based Strategies for Regulating Soot (BC) and Methane in the Arctic: Implications for the Region and Global Cooperation on Climate Change
Lead: David Victor

Professor of International Relations and Director of the Laboratory on International Law and Regulation, UCSD.

19 September 2017 - 12:15pm
Topic: Phenological mismatch between caterpillar and hosts
Lead: Leslie Ries

We are having our project kick-off meeting here at Georgetown 9/15-17 so I'll outline our plans for the phenology project and how different activities in our lab are related. We will also review a recently released review of phenological...

Summer 2017

27 July 2017 - 2:00pm
Topic: Caterpillars Count!
Lead: Leslie Ries

We're going to talk about initiating caterpillars count here in the lab!

20 July 2017 - 2:00pm
Topic: Review of 2016 Silver-spotted Skipper results

6 July 2017 - 12:00pm
Topic: Lab project checkin
Lead: Leslie Ries

A check in on the various projects going on in the lab, ideas for independent projects

29 June 2017 - 12:00pm
Topic: Collaborator research on physiological constraints on population growth
Lead: Leslie Ries

I will be sharing research of Kelly Nail (University of MN) and Tyson Wyprich (North Carolina State University)

20 June 2017 - 12:00pm
Topic: Tardigrades!!

Lydia will talk about her exciting work with tardigrades

Spring 2017

25 April 2017 - 2:00pm
Topic: Trophic dynamics, climate change and snails
Lead: Kevin Scriber (Howard University)

Kevin will come share his research on snails, feeding dynamics, and climate.

4 April 2017 - 12:30pm
Topic: Energy Transitions
Lead: Kyle Meng

Kyle Meng of UCSB will give a talk on Energy Transitions.

28 March 2017 - 12:15am
Topic: Greenhouse work day

Where your grubby clothes folks! We're going to get dirty in the greenhouse!

22 March 2017 - 12:15am
Topic: Summer 2017 Experiment planning

Mariana will go over plans for the summer based on some results from last summer!

14 March 2017 - 12:30pm
Topic: TBD
Lead: Energy and Climate Series - David Victor

David Victor from UCSD will give a talk.

28 February 2017 - 1:00pm
Topic: Lecture and discussion with Exec. Secretary of UN Framework on Climate
Lead: Patricia Espoinosa (GU lecture)

Copley Formal Lounge

14 February 2017 - 12:15pm
Topic: Degree day follow up

We're going to continue our discussion!!!

7 February 2017 - 12:15pm
Topic: Climatic drivers of migration timing variation in monarchs

Naresh will present his work on monarch migration timing.

31 January 2017 - 12:15pm
Topic: Physiology Database update

Mariana will give us an update on the Physiology database

24 January 2017 - 12:15pm
Topic: Quantifying color - review manuscript

Elise will distribute her color manuscript to review.

Fall 2016

22 September 2016 - 2:00pm
Topic: Climate-driven ecological models

Discussion of climate models, dealing with uncertainty, downscaling and other related topics.
Reference: Littell, J. S., McKenzie, D., Kerns, B. K., Cushman, S., & Shaw, C. G. (2011). Managing uncertainty in climate‐driven ecological...

15 September 2016 - 2:00pm
Topic: Review of wing color manuscript

8 September 2016 - 2:00pm
Topic: Paper discussion

Development rates of the embryonic and immature stages of codling moth, Cydia pomonella (L.) (Lepidoptera: Tortricidae), at constant and fluctuating temperatures by Bloomfield and Guillome